Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion For discussion of matters relating to elective home education.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-09, 11:28
HE

Yes they do mention your favourite 'o' word, however I don't think all outcomes are bad. Those that are imposed are oppressive, particularly when they are state imposed, those that are self determined are liberating. You canít make a decision without first considering its outcome therefore a world without outcomes would be a very strange place. I think the outcomes that PEN refer to are of the liberating variety and I find their [or maybe I should say Ďourí since I am a PEN member] celebration of educational diversity quite refreshing. In fact if it wasn't for the PEN perspective we probably would not be home educating.

Paul.
Bookmark and Share
Old 03-10-09, 13:12
Administrator

Thanked 9,699 Times in 3,323 Posts

John and I used to be trustees of PEN but parted company due to "irreconcilable differences". I agree with Sheila.
for home educators who mean business
Bookmark and Share
Old 03-10-09, 14:10
HE

Thanked 5,253 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreahenderson2 View Post
Yes they do mention your favourite 'o' word, however I don't think all outcomes are bad. Those that are imposed are oppressive, particularly when they are state imposed, those that are self determined are liberating. You canít make a decision without first considering its outcome therefore a world without outcomes would be a very strange place. I think the outcomes that PEN refer to are of the liberating variety and I find their [or maybe I should say Ďourí since I am a PEN member] celebration of educational diversity quite refreshing. In fact if it wasn't for the PEN perspective we probably would not be home educating.

Paul.
It wasn't so much the "O" word that was bothering me , rather the assumption of the need for performance indicators and their measurement:

Quote:
Performance indicators are measured as much in terms of their physical and mental health, in peaceful existence, freedom from crime, usefulness of contributions and work, levels of active citizenship etc as they are in the existing limitations of the assessment scores and paper accreditations.
Bookmark and Share
Old 03-10-09, 15:17
HE

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,482 Posts

I hate performance management. It has its place, but it shouldn't be everywhere.

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com
Bookmark and Share
Old 03-10-09, 15:32
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
I hate performance management. It has its place, but it shouldn't be everywhere.

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com
Exactly! Wouldn't it be a cunning wheeze, if (for whatever reason) you wished to surveille every living moment of every citizen's life, to steal the language of progressive educators and use it to get them to design a system that would achieve this for you?

Nah! couldn't happen
Bookmark and Share
Old 04-10-09, 10:18
HE

I partially agree with all of the above however, as with outcomes, I donít think all performance indicators (PIs) are bad. As with outcomes, formally state imposed PIs are oppressive, however informal observations within the family are essential in order to evaluate learning and determine future progress. There are two informal PIs that I use within home education which are vital in indicating future progress. One is happiness and the other is health. If our kids are happy and healthy then they are learning and progressing in the right direction. If they are not so then we need to find out why and review the situation. It is these types of essential informal indicators that PEN are referring to, not state imposed ones. Iím intrigued to know the irreconcilable differences with PEN although this is perhaps not the place to discuss them. Iíve always thought PEN play a vital roll in drawing people into personalised learning that otherwise would not be interested. They also play a pivotal roll in increasing awareness of alternative learning approaches in academic circles and other areas of our culture that home ed organisations may have difficulty reaching. Any organisation that lessens hostility towards home education born out of ignorance by increasing awareness and enlightenment has surely got to be good for all home educated kids. I find it puzzling that there should be such differences between Schoolhouse and PEN when Schoolhouse recommends a significant amount of publications by Educational Heretics Press (PENís publishing counterpart) on their resources web page.

Puzzled Paul!
Bookmark and Share
Old 04-10-09, 10:29
Administrator

Thanked 9,699 Times in 3,323 Posts

This has nothing to do with Schoolhouse. John and I were trustees in a personal capacity, but the irreconcilable differences were such that we could no longer remain as company directors and no longer feel able to support the organisation or its objectives.
for home educators who mean business
Bookmark and Share
Old 04-10-09, 18:13
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreahenderson2 View Post
I partially agree with all of the above
Likewise Paul

I have really enjoyed and found inspiration in much of the PEN/Educational Heretics Press material.

It was when various home-educators were researching the backgrounds of the members of the Badman review group and the issues arising from this that I had to rethink quite a lot of what was going on. Even a very quick google around shows what an incestuous little world these "experts" inhabit.

An oversimplification, I know but I don't like some of the company PEN keep - BECTA for example...

I don't want to question the motives of individuals - someone cleverer than I am recently quoted Wittgenstein to illustrate a different point but I think it is apt here "don't look for meaning, but look for use."

It seems to me that the "personalisation" of our education system is a trojan horse which is helping to facilitate the state micromanagement of our children's lives.
Bookmark and Share
Old 04-10-09, 21:05
HE

Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default BAD Language!

"to surveille"???? Sheila!!!! How about "to watch"? And while on this, could we replace the ghastly "outcomes" with "result/s"? And (a pet hate) "relocate" with "move"?

I blame the Americans, and their armed forces in particular, for the continuing insidious destruction of the proper use of English. In particular they hate the passive voice with a passion, as does Microsoft's grammar checker. I am not against language changing and evolving but most of the current changes are down to laziness and sloppiness, not evolution. GAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share
Old 04-10-09, 21:17
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthtracer View Post
Quite! Although my grammer and spelling fashist son would def agree wif u
Bookmark and Share

Tags
education , innovation , learning society , systems thinking