Home Education Forums

Home Education Forums (http://www.home-education.biz/forum/index.php)
-   Home Education Law & Policy (http://www.home-education.biz/forum/home-education-law-and-policy/)
-   -   Changes To The Pupil Registration Regulations And School Attendance Codes (http://www.home-education.biz/forum/home-education-law-and-policy/13399-changes-to-the-pupil-registration-regulations-and-school-attendance-codes.html)

OrganisedPauper 28-03-11 23:19

Changes To The Pupil Registration Regulations And School Attendance Codes

Changes To The Pupil Registration Regulations And School Attendance Codes

Hi, please share with other home educators and groups. It appears elective home educators were not to be included in the preliminary enquiries about changes before a consultation as replies were supposed to be in by 21st March. There is a link to the original letter at the bottom of this page. Please also note that this document also refers to draft guidance for local authorities which is missing from this letter. Obviously elective home educators and groups should have been asked for comment. We also need to see the draft guidance for local authorities BEFORE a consultation so we can comment. Copied here……

Parents deciding to Home Educate – Graham Badman's report on his Review of Elective Home Education in England, published in June 2009, recommended that when parents are thinking of deregistering their child from school to home educate, schools should retain such pupils on roll for a period of 20 school days so that should the parents change their minds, the child could be readmitted to the school. This period would also allow for the resolution of such difficulties that may have prompted the decision to remove the child from school. This recommendation was supported by the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee Report on Home Education published in December 2009.

We propose to add a regulation so that where a parent has de-registered their child from school to home educate them, the school will retain the child on the admissions register for a period of 20 school days. To ensure that the school’s absence statistics are not affected by this we propose to change the definition of the absence code Z so that schools may use it to mark the register over the 20 day period (Code Z is currently used as an administrative tool that allows schools to put new pupils on the Admissions Register in advance of them starting at the school, rather than having the burden of putting them all on at the same time, and not have to mark them as absent in the register).

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets...%20handout.pdf

llondel 29-03-11 07:21

I fired this off yesterday, for what it's worth. No doubt it'll get dumped in the bin.

Quote:

Apologies for the late comment, but I've just had my attention drawn to this document and the clause arising from the Badman Review.

I would like to point out that the proposed 20 day period for keeping a school place open for a home educated child is likely to be abused by families with no intention of home educating but with every intention of enjoying a cheap off-peak holiday in Ibiza or similar. All they need to do is withdraw their child from school by delivering a letter to the school on Friday, spend one or two weeks out of the country (and therefore not contactable) and on their return, have 'second thoughts' and put the child back into school. In this manner they will have sidestepped all the truancy regulations because the child will not have been absent from school without permission.

On the other hand, requiring a child to remain at school during the 20 days to avoid this is not reasonable in the cases where a child is being genuinely withdrawn with the full intention to home educate long-term.
If the rule change goes through then I think we ought to publicise the loophole. :bolt:

raq23 29-03-11 11:15

They know about the loophole..we pointed it out surely when Badman proposed it. i expect they are hoping parents will use the loophole and cause all sorts of problems for schools. then they will have to come up with a solution. what could they possibly do to stop such a loophole? End de-reg on demand. it looks like a well thouught out plan from our dear one party govt.

Elaine Kirk 29-03-11 11:47

How can they do that without having the State take responsibility for education though Raq? and that would land them with so much expense.

llondel 29-03-11 12:17

They'll make it a long drawn-out process - you'll need to be inspected and checked to make sure you aren't just after a cheap holiday and that'll take a variable time so you still can't time it properly for the holiday.

Ali Admin 29-03-11 13:01

TIMETABLE! Please note that as far as anyone's aware no home educators or groups were

Thanks to OrganisedPapuer for this info:

Quote:

TIMETABLE! Please note that as far as anyone's aware no home educators or groups were asked or informed!

By 7 March - letter emailed to appropriate recipients
By 21 March - responses received
W/c 28 March* - regulations to be signed
By 1 April* - regulations laid in parliament
6 April - House rises for recess
On 1 September* - regulations come into force
* these timings depend on nature and content of the comments received from this letter.
Sounds par for the course.

Perhaps the Enid Blyton brigade and/or latest cohort of EHE 'experts' have been beavering away 'constructively' behind the scenes (in order to avoid any unpleasantness) for the 'good' of everyone else?

OrganisedPauper 29-03-11 13:58

Urgent!

The fact that they've not consulted, informed or raised the issue with any home educators or home education groups needs to be raised with them NOW! Email them NOW!

For us to be able to take account of any issues you raise please send your r...esponses to me at the following email address greg.midcalf@education.gsi.gov.uk

> TIMETABLE! Please note that as far as anyone's aware no home educators or groups were asked or informed!
>
> By 7 March - letter emailed to appropriate recipients
> By 21 March - responses received
> W/c 28 March* - regulations to be signed
> By 1 April* - regulations laid in parliament
> 6 April - House rises for recess
> On 1 September* - regulations come into force
> * these timings depend on nature and content of the comments received from this letter

raq23 29-03-11 13:59

but isn't that what they do in Scotland Elaine?
(n.b. not at all au fait with Scotland..but know I am in the right place to ask! :thumb:)

OrganisedPauper 29-03-11 14:02

I think it's likely that families with children with special needs will be especially singled out for harassment if this 20 day rule goes through. If they have a statement it's likely the school will lose a pot of money. They don't like that. They also don't like families whose childrens' needs have not been met voting with their feet.

I posted this elsewhere.

Slippery slope. First of all it will be 20 days of harassment to stop a family home educating, in particular I think families with children with SEN will be singled out. It's not in accordance with section 7. It is parents who are legally responsible so when we deregister it is not up to the powers that would like to be to say 'no..you have to wait 20 days.' It also leaves a loop hole for term time holidays for school pupils which will later be closed by government who will say this deregistration on demand is a nuisance.

Deregistration on demand is an incredibly important law for home educators and any tinkering will produce problems. Ask any parent what it was like before deregistration on demand. Add to this that home educators have neither been informed or consulted about this and you know there's going to be trouble. Sneaky is as sneaky does. Beware frog boiling...if you know what that is.

OrganisedPauper 29-03-11 14:05

@Raquel

The law regarding home education in Scotland is completely different to the law in England. The term 'Otherwise than at school' doesn't apply in Scotland. The whole thing is framed completely differently.