Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > Media

Media For links to media coverage of home education related issues. Members of the media may also post requests here or contact the admin team directly.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-10, 10:30
HE

Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,441 Posts

She crossed her ex-husband who is powerful and a solicitor. He knows people and he gets things done. The likely outcome is that Daddy Dearest will end up becoming bored with the children and park them in the Social Services court, and then the poor little trophies will be fostered, in 'care' or adopted.

Diane
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
glenngranter (07-05-11)
Old 21-10-10, 17:50
Super Moderator

Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,223 Posts

An update from Christopher Booker in the Telegraph
Boy hides from social workers in the jungle

Britain's zealous social workers have rarely gone to such lengths to seize a child from loving parents, says Christopher Booker.
Quote:
Of all the stories I have covered about zealous social workers seizing children from loving parents without cause, none is more bizarre than the one that looked as though it would be concluded in the High Court last Friday.
After London social workers had spent thousands of pounds vainly trying to track down, in the Ugandan jungle, a four-year-old boy who had evaded their clutches, the council indicated that it wished to close the case. But in a last minute twist, the judge gave the social workers three more months to find the child – so the story hasn’t yet got a happy ending.
The boy’s mother is a Ugandan Catholic who has lived in Britain for more than 20 years, has degrees in IT and finance from two London universities, and has held down good jobs. Six years ago, however, she was temporarily homeless with a young daughter. She appealed for help to the social workers of the borough where she then lived. She was told she could put her little girl in foster care, but could be given no help herself. When she refused to hand over her child, a care order was made on the grounds of the mother’s “neglect”.
The mother was arrested at work, in front of her shocked colleagues, by six policemen, one armed with a pistol, and held in custody so her daughter could be seized. With court approval, the social workers then gave the girl to her father, despite the fact that he had a criminal record and was HIV positive.
Three years later, with a new partner, the mother had a son. Since she was on a register, the social workers where she now lived wanted to seize the child, but she left hospital a day before the papers arrived and they lost the trail. For three years the little boy lived happily with his parents, until last year the social workers of a third council caught up with her and began asking questions. Fearful that he would be seized, she took her son to Uganda to live with her family. Only six months later did the council serve papers with the court.....continued......
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
glenngranter (07-05-11)
Old 21-10-10, 21:14
Super Moderator

from the
Quote:
To her friends and neighbours Jill Newcombe-Buley, 45, appeared to be a doting mother leading the life of a contented, well-heeled professional in the Cheshire stockbroker village of Prestbury.
But behind the façade of genteel respectability was a woman so incapable of raising her three adoptive children that for nearly a decade she subjected them to a catalogue of physical abuse behind the closed doors of her luxury home.
Her husband, Dr Nicholas Newcombe, also 45, the associate director of a global pharmaceutical company, turned a blind eye as she devised increasingly extreme measures to instil discipline.
Newcombe-Buley, herself a dentist, repeatedly attacked the children, smothering them with a pillow if they didn’t go off to sleep and holding their heads under the water after forcing them into an ice cold bath.
She once smashed one of them over the head with a bin and on other occasions stamped upon each of them with her high-heeled shoes.
In addition to the litany of physical attacks, she subjected them to tirades of verbal abuse.
The children’s suffering only ended when the eldest of them finally found the courage to contact police...continued...
Bookmark and Share
Old 22-10-10, 13:35
HE

Quote:
Andrew Jebb, defending, said it appeared the couple had expected to achieve the same level of success in looking after children as they enjoyed in their careers. It had proved not to be the case.

When, oh when are these kind of soulless idiots gonna get it.... having kids is NOTHING like a career... no going home away from it in the evenings, no weekends & holidays off, no monetary gain (quite the opposite), no change of it if it stops suiting you.... lifelong commitment, selflessness & love required with a good strong heaping of soul searching & the ability to evolve.

Maybe these poor kids had it no worse than they would have if they'd remained with their birth parents... but from the sounds of it they didnt seem to have it much better... just maybe in nicer looking surroundings... which I can bet had an influence on the decision makers involved in the removal & adoption of them.

Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loubeeloo For This Useful Post:
Diane (22-10-10), Earthtracer (22-10-10), glenngranter (07-05-11)
Old 22-10-10, 16:33
HE

Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,127 Posts
Default Or just buy one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11605927

I almost feel sorry for the man. Almost.
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthtracer For This Useful Post:
Diane (22-10-10)
Old 20-11-10, 21:42
Super Moderator

Forced adoption: another win for the child snatchers

Quote:
In 43 years of medical practice, said the family’s GP, he had “never encountered a case of such appalling injustice”. To their neighbours, it was so shocking that up to 100 of them were ready to stage a public protest, until being banned from doing so by social workers and the police.
This was the case of Tony and Debbie Sims, which I first reported in July 2009 under the headline “ 'Evil destruction’ of a happy family”, and whom I can now name because their daughter, torn from them for no good reason, has finally, after three years of misery in foster care and 74 court hearings, been adopted.
The story of Mr and Mrs Sims was my first introduction to that Kafka-esque world of state child-snatching which I have so often reported on since. It illustrates so many of the reasons why, hidden behind its self-protective wall of secrecy, this ruthless and corrupt system has become a major national scandal.
Until April 2007, Mr Sims, a professional dog breeder, and his wife, then a branch vice-chairman of the local Conservative Party, were a respectable middle-class couple living happily with their five-year-old daughter, who was the apple of their eye. Shortly after Mr Sims was interviewed by the RSPCA over his unwitting infringement of a new law banning the tail-docking of puppies, their home was invaded by two RSPCA officials and 18 policemen, who had been given a wholly erroneous tip-off that there were guns on the premises.
When the dogs were released from their kennels and rampaged through the house, ripping apart his daughter’s pet boxer, Mr Sims strongly protested – verbally but not physically. He and his wife were arrested and taken away, leaving their little girl, aged five, screaming amid the chaos. Social workers were called and the child was removed into foster care. While Mrs Sims was being held for several hours in a police cell, she had a miscarriage. She returned home that night to find her daughter gone.
When the couple next saw their child – months later, at a “contact” – she said she had been told they were dead and had gone to heaven. For three years they tried to get her back through those 74 court hearings. The social workers claimed the child had been maltreated, because her home was an unholy mess. But this was only because of the police raid and the dogs – a WPC who had visited the house a month earlier on other business reported that it had been “neat and tidy”.
The child could not understand why she was not allowed to go back home with her parents. The courts were unable to consider a report by an experienced independent social worker which the couple were told described them as responsible and loving parents. The only evidence the court heard was that from the social workers and their own “experts”.
When the couple were eventually told that their child would be adopted, they appealed. In a judgment last year, which the media were permitted to report, Mr Justice Boden ruled that because the parents had not shown sufficient co‑operation with the authorities (after four psychiatric assessments of the couple, the father refused to submit to a fifth), the adoption had to go ahead.
One of the first people to contact the parents when this was made public was that independent social worker, who expressed astonishment, saying he had assumed that, because the social workers’ case seemed so flimsy, the family would have long since been reunited. Last week, however, Mr and Mrs Sims had a two-sentence note to say their daughter has now been adopted.
Since I first wrote about this case in 2009, I have come to recognise many of its features in dozens of others I have followed: the mob-handed involvement of the police; the seizing of children for no good reason; the inability of social workers to admit they have made a mistake; the way lawyers supposedly acting for the parents seem to be on the other side; the refusal of judges to look objectively at all the evidence, and their willingness to accept nonsense if told to them by social workers and their “experts”. Too often, these proceedings get away with standing every honourable principle of British justice on its head.
Such is the Frankenstein’s monster created by Parliament in the 1989 Children Act. Yet apart from the tireless John Hemming, and a handful of other MPs shocked into awareness by individual cases in their constituencies, the majority seem wholly unconcerned. So what do we pay them for?
Bookmark and Share
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Diane (21-11-10), glenngranter (07-05-11), mirky (20-11-10), Polly (21-11-10), Sheila Struthers (20-11-10)
Old 21-11-10, 11:06
HE

I have to say that I would never adopt a child now I've heard all these terrible stories. Why don't adopting parents refuse to adopt? And if they adopt why don't they hand the children back to their real parents?

That little child's life will be marked and scarred forever.

Diane
Bookmark and Share
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (21-11-10), glenngranter (07-05-11), Loubeeloo (28-11-10), Polly (28-11-10)
Old 28-11-10, 00:41
Super Moderator

This is sickening ! of the 8,000 adoptions every year the government say under 800 adoptions are 'the sort' that Christopher Booker reports .
under 800.....
From the
Forced adoptions get no sympathy from the ministry

Quote:
Last week I listened for an hour to a sobbing mother describing how she recently lost the six-year-old daughter who is the centre of her life. Her fatal mistake was to ask social workers for advice when she was being troubled by "harassment" from the child's father, from whom she parted some years ago. Within days, although it was never suggested that she had harmed her daughter in any way, she found herself facing a "case conference" of 20 people at the local council offices, the conclusion of which was that her child must be placed in foster care.
The solicitor she was given by the social workers refused to oppose the care order. At a "contact" session, when she and her bewildered daughter emotionally expressed their love for each other, the interview was halted. She has not been allowed to see her child again.
Having followed dozens of such cases in recent months, which suggest that something has gone horribly wrong with our child protection system, I was recently invited for an off-the-record ministerial discussion about what I have been reporting. But far from recognising that anything might be astray, the official line, it seems, is that the horrifying cases I have covered represent only an untypical minority of the total – "less than 10 per cent". In general, the system is working fine.
Quote:
This line seems to be confirmed by the latest guidance issued to local authorities by the Children's Minister, Tim Loughton, who says that too many councils are failing to ensure that enough children are being adopted, and that the backsliders must speed up their flow of adoptions. No question as to whether social workers might be snatching too many of the wrong children in the first place – or why the courts seem so eager to support them that, of around 8,000 applications made each year for care orders, only one in 400 is refused.
I shall give just one disturbing instance of the latest developments in a case I have been following for months. Like many others, this came to me through the Forced Adoption website, run by former councillor Ian Josephs. It involves a married couple whose five older children were seized earlier this year, subsequent to which their latest baby was torn from its mother's arms only hours after it was born.
The bizarre story originally stated by the social workers to justify their ruthless intervention in this family's life seems to have collapsed. At a recent court hearing, I am told, the judge seemed disposed to reunite the family as soon as possible. The baby was returned to her parents later that day. But the council asked for 21 days' stay of execution before returning the five older children, three of whom the parents had not been allowed to see for weeks. The judge apparently agreed but insisted that an independent social worker should interview the children.
The independent social worker eventually managed to interview four of the children, apparently reporting that they all wished to be allowed to go home to their parents. But the court refused to give the parents a copy of the judge's ruling, and on Friday they were summoned back to hear from him that he had now seemingly changed his mind and that the children did not wish to come home after all. According to the parents, they were not allowed to question the evidence on which he based his new ruling, although they were told they could appeal.
What on earth is going on here? Even from the little I am permitted to report of this case, it seems evident that something seriously odd is afoot.
But this is merely one of far too many cases where families are being heartlessly torn apart, often without the parents even being allowed to question the evidence or to speak for themselves. To hear such horror stories being dismissed as representing "less than 10 per cent" of all the cases where children are seized is simply not good enough. Each is shocking enough in its own right. But when every week brings news of a dozen more, this only confirms that we indeed have a national scandal on our hands....read more..
Do go and read the comments
/
/

Last edited by Elaine Kirk; 28-11-10 at 03:05.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Earthtracer (28-11-10), glenngranter (07-05-11), Polly (28-11-10), Sheila Struthers (28-11-10)
Old 28-11-10, 10:54
HE

Oh, Elaine, these people's pain just sickens me to the soul's core.

Diane
Bookmark and Share
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Earthtracer (28-11-10), Elaine Kirk (28-11-10), glenngranter (07-05-11), Loubeeloo (28-11-10), Polly (28-11-10)
Old 04-12-10, 21:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Last Tuesday I dined in a smart Knightsbridge restaurant with Ian Josephs, who runs the Forced Adoption website, his wife, a mother whom I cannot name and her delightful five-month-old baby, who sat in a high chair perfectly behaved throughout. This was the baby who, shortly after she was born in June, was torn from her mother’s arms in hospital at 3am by six policemen and three social workers. Two months earlier, social workers had also snatched the mother’s five older children, to put them in foster care, costing taxpayers more than £2,000 a week.
On Tuesday afternoon, the mother had been unexpectedly told that she could have contact with two of her children, miles from north London where she lives. Yet again, when she arrived at the contact centre, she was told that the children were not coming, although apparently they long to see her. On returning to the station with her baby, given back to her by the court six weeks ago, she found that all trains had been cancelled because of the snow, forcing her to return to London by taxi at a cost of £50.
This was yet another instalment of a cat and mouse game the council has been playing with the parents for months, telling them they can see their children, only for them frequently to hear, after their long journey, that some or all of the children were not available after all. (It happened again last Friday.)
Months ago the court ordered that the children should be brought back into London, nearer their home. Meanwhile, the council should give the parents a travel voucher, worth more than £30 a time, for their journey. Only once did the council provide a voucher, which the parents discovered on the return journey was one-way only, costing them £100 in penalties.
Since then the court order has been ignored and the parents have had to pay up to £150 a week to see their children, only to be told on arrival that the agreed contact has been cancelled.Meanwhile, the case used to justify the seizing of the children has been collapsing in all directions, although the parents have not once been allowed to challenge the extraordinary statements made about them. Not until next year, 10 months after this family was ruthlessly broken up, will there be a final hearing to decide whether this utterly heartless farce can at last be brought to an end. If and when the facts about this barely credible story can be reported, it will be worthy of the front page...many very interesting comments....
Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Diane (05-12-10), glenngranter (07-05-11), Sheila Struthers (04-12-10)

Tags
None