Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > New Members & Visitors

New Members & Visitors The starting point for visitors and new members. Please note that initial posts are subject to moderation and spam will not be tolerated. If you wish to access our private family forums and/or other groups hosted on this site, please contact the admins by PM or email info [at] home-education.biz specifying the nature of your interest in home education in the UK.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-12, 23:13
HE

Default Help

Hi, I am looking for advice, I have a 12 year old daughter with aspergers syndrome. She has struggled from the very start of school life with social difficulties and exstreme anxieties. She struggles so much making friends, social que and her school work-load. I have now got to the point where I feel I may be doing her more harm than good sending her to school every day. I am seriously thinking about home education, but don't have a clue where to start or if its the right thing to do! The school have been understanding to a certain degree, however with 1600 pupils they don't have the resources for her indiviual needs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Donna
Bookmark and Share
Old 07-03-12, 10:54
HE

Hi Donna,

There are many different approaches to home education you can take. When I took my son(12), a fellow aspie out I spent about a year not doing very much to be honest because he needed that time to chill out and deschool. After that it was very fluid and led by his own interests. For example he loves current affairs and so pursuing this naturally led to encompassing Geography, History, English, Economics and R.E. The only really structured bit of our time was when I was teaching him "Life Skills" such as cooking, how to budget, pay bills, how to deal with public transport etc which I hoped would enable him to be confident and independent - but even during this time he was learning about chemistry, biology, maths.

Take your time, relax and have fun.

Also http://www.aspergersupport.org.uk/ were helpful to.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Susan x
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suze For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (07-03-12), Sheila Struthers (07-03-12)

Tags
None

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2