Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > New Members & Visitors

New Members & Visitors The starting point for visitors and new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-12, 10:36

Smile Hello to all

Hi There. What a great forum, I have been Home Educating for 4 years and have only just come across it I currently educate my 2 children at home (I used to educate my eldest son too but he's now at college ((Long story))) My daughter is nearly 15 and my son is 13, they both have a condition called Aspergers Syndrome which is a form of Autism. I started to home educate them in 2008, because at that time they were all struggling with mainstream school. My eldest had already moved up into senior school and it was a total nightmare as he was bullied on a day to day basis because of his own mental health problems, and my youngest 2 were still in primary school been bullied because of their problems and differences. Hence - we chose to educate them at home, where at least we could guarantee their safety if nothing else. It hasn't been easy for a hundred different reasons, all of which have a different story, but i'm convinced that i'm making progress now with the youngest two. and i'll look forward to sharing with other people the experiences of home education..

I do hope i'll be of some use to others members, even if its just some support I can offer, I found that support was the last thing i got from society in general, and professionals in particular when I chose to educate my kids at home. ,There was all sorts of people telling me it was the wrong thing to do, they thought iwas crazy taking all three of my children out of school .. different ages, abilities and medical problems, all my responsibility.. It was overwhelming at the beginning, I was so worried I would fail them miserably and all those people who had stood on the sidelines waiting for me to fall would be stood there clapping and laughing at my mistake, but Iíve fought hard against a system that doesnít care a jot about my kids, and at last I feel like I am making some progress. Sso its great that Iíve found this forum because I hope that we can help each other in a system thatís too blinded by red tape to see the bigger picture where our precious children are concerned. My youngest son is on a Statement of educational needs, so every year we have to meet with the LEA and I Still don't get supported by those who should be helping, its a complete waste of time..

Anyway, because I feel so strongly about the lack of support us home educators get, a few weeks ago i decided to set up my own facebook ďSupportĒ group, which ironically is not doing so well, (hence no support but for the few friends who do comment who are also home educating) Itís a slow start but I am trying to raise awareness for us home educating citizens everywhere because there really is very little support out there.... . Since opening the group my children have had a new burst of life for all things new, (Cooking and showing off their pictures is big at the minute J ) and i would love to give all you home educators a place to go and share the same privilege.. Obviously I am overjoyed at finding this site, and its always nice to share experiences with other people as part of a forum, but I am just offering somewhere additional if you would like to be part of another group. (if thatís ok with the moderators of course) (The last thing I want to do is upset anyone by pinching anyone from here, I was hoping we could work along side each other in the support department) .. I hope this explains a little about the passion I have for home education and what it truely stands for, and also why I am so keen to share it with other home educators.

Over the next few weeks I am hoping to approach various people, places and organisations to ask for their support in acknowledging home educators by joining our group, and I hope I can raise awareness for every single thing we do as home educators, from the children who are learning and the parents who teach them right down to the professionals who might one day change their opinions of what we do, We all have one thing in common at the end of the day.. We all want what is best for our children.. ..
Good luck to you all..

Kind regards
Meus. X

http://www.facebook.com/groups/MyWorldSS/
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-05-12, 06:23

Maybe my first post was too long... I really just wanted to say hello.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/MyWorldSS/
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-05-12, 07:51
Administrator

Thanked 9,247 Times in 3,176 Posts

Hello and to the forums.
for home educators who mean business
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-05-12, 08:26
HE

Thanked 2,189 Times in 801 Posts

Hi and welcome!

R
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-05-12, 16:08
HE

Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,441 Posts

Hello Meus,

Welcome to the forums.

I think home educators can be a bit wary of 'support' especially since LAs are constantly saying that they want to 'support' home educators. Their support is generally meant in the way of 'we want to monitor every darn thing you are doing with your children then tell you that you should send them to school'.

There are some home edders on various different groups on facebook. I will try to dig out the addresses.

But, yes, I agree with you. I'd love to shout about the joys and benefits of home education but, considering the closed-minded society we live in, I keep quiet about things (sometimes)!

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-05-12, 19:47

Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
Hello Meus,

Welcome to the forums.

I think home educators can be a bit wary of 'support' especially since LAs are constantly saying that they want to 'support' home educators. Their support is generally meant in the way of 'we want to monitor every darn thing you are doing with your children then tell you that you should send them to school'.

There are some home edders on various different groups on facebook. I will try to dig out the addresses.

But, yes, I agree with you. I'd love to shout about the joys and benefits of home education but, considering the closed-minded society we live in, I keep quiet about things (sometimes)!

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com
Hi Diane. lovely to meet you. I agree its taken me ages to disclose what we do during our mad learning sessions, .. and i couldnt agree more, we live in a seriously close minded society.. which is a shame. anyway. thanks for your reply hun, i wish you well.
meus
Bookmark and Share
Old 03-05-12, 12:33

Default Hello!

Hi there,

I haven't started home schooling yet as our boys are quite young (2 1/2 and 9months) but I have really started to research it. I have been very excited at the prospect and mentioned it to a friend this morning and she oozed negativity. I left her house feeling deflated and thinking that maybe I should send our boys into a classroom that will have 35 other children in it. This was a fleeting thought! I then decided to arm myself with knowledge and not disclose to anyone else what I'm thinking until we have decided.

It's sad really, you'd think in this day and age people wouldn't be so narrow minded.

Yikes this welcome has turned into a vent! Sorry!

Lisa x
Bookmark and Share
Old 07-05-12, 16:57
HE

Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,441 Posts

Hi Lisa,

People who live in the Matrix don't like the idea that they are living in a world full of folly and they don't like the idea that you are stepping out of that. Your friend was probably deeply conflicted about the fact that you were planning to home educate. I suspect that lots of mums know in their deepest selves that home education is good for/would be good for their own children and they become very angry about your choice for your child in a reaction against their own feelings.

Don't worry about it. After a few months, when you see the amazing progress your baby makes, you'll be able to deck the doubters with two by fours of amazing stuff from your children.

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.oom
Bookmark and Share

Tags
None