Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > Social Space

Social Space For chit chat and off topic stuff you want to share.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-12, 19:17
Pauline

Default Toilet training

Our eldest son is four in May and we have tried everything that we can think of to toilet train him. He knows the theory but can't seem to put it into practice.He is freaking out when we put him on the toilet and seems afraid of falling down.
We have listened to all kinds of advice and others boasting that their children have been trained from two months!!!
I would appreciate any thoughts or comments from anyone out there who has had a similar problem.
Do we leave it until he is ready? or should we get some help?
Is there a set age that children should be trained at or do we expect too much from our children?
He is a very bright boy in all other areas.
Bookmark and Share
Old 31-03-12, 20:15
HE

My son was like this, he got the hang of it eventually.

Have you tried different child toilet seats, steps etc.
Bookmark and Share
Old 31-03-12, 20:56
HE

Is he using a potty? is it just the toilet he dislikes?

I would seriously consider just resorting to a potty until he gets the hang of it. I know that is more difficult when you are out, but I guess there are always trees.

There is no real rush, and the summer might be just the time to do it as accidents might be easier to cope with.

From what I have heard, there is no set age and I was told by a health visitor not to do it to early because they learn the routine and not the trigger sensations. This can cause problems later on.

We followed a book to do it in a week and it worked for us. (It is a Gina Ford book, I can lend you it if you think it will help)
Old 01-04-12, 05:28

My youngest hated the toilet seat and always thought she would fall down and get stuck.
We had a toddler seat that fitted over the existing one, and it took a little while for het to feel safe on it, but it worked.
r
Nowadays you can get the family seat, which has a normal seat for adults and a toddler seat all built in,

http://www.splashdirect.com/Bathroom...541/p2655.aspx

Last edited by Laine21S; 01-04-12 at 05:48.
Bookmark and Share
Old 01-04-12, 10:46
HE

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,506 Posts

You might check to see if he's having pain on voiding. That can scare children (or anyone for example). My eldest didn't accept the toilet routine until she was four and a friend (motherly adult) encouraged her to 'go'. I think my distress over the whole thing was putting her off, frankly.

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (01-04-12)
Old 01-04-12, 16:01
HE

Thanked 2,020 Times in 678 Posts

Is he telling you in advance that he needs to go? or asking to go to the toilet? - Without prompting?

If not, he may not be physically ready yet - without the necessary sensations and being able to tell in advance, and control it, it's not going to happen He may well be able to understand it 'intellectually' and want to co-operate but unless the nerves are giving out the right signals for him to recognise, he won't be able to hold on etc.

Regarding the toilet, perhaps letting him use a potty that he has control of would help build confidence?

Don't let other's boasting worry you - we've all been there For me it was the people boasting their baby slept thru the nights from birth - not really helpful when you have a baby who never sleeps no matter what
Bookmark and Share
Old 01-04-12, 16:06
HE

Hi Margaret,

as you know, I'm no expert on toilet training but Rosetta is finding the warmer weather and thus peeing in bushes/next to trees/in the drains etc is making accidents less frequent and peeing more fun. It could be even more fun for a boy! He will get the hang of it, given time.

Sapna x
Bookmark and Share
Old 01-04-12, 21:10
HE

Hi Margaret,
Using the toilet can be very scary, appears often to be an irrational fear to something new or he might disappear with the flush. Some children feel very unsafe sitting on the toilet. What about getting him to stand up and pee into a bucket. You can buy coloured balls to put in the bucket and he tries to aim for them with his pee. Good motivating game for some. The al fresco iexperience from sapna works well with Logan, too well! On the other hand, if he has not acquired the vocabulary for expressing he needs to pee or the sensation then I personally would leave it for now. It's not that uncommon for children not to be toilet trained at 4yrs

Caroline x
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-04-12, 08:55
HE

Thanked 4,089 Times in 1,186 Posts

It's not clear to me whether the issue is a transition from potty to toilet where he's aware of the need to go, or from nappy to toilet where he needs to become aware of the need.

We achieved good results by mysteriously running out of nappies so our son spent his waking hours without a nappy on. Even more mysteriously, we'd manage to find a nappy by bedtime so he could wear one overnight. We had very few incidents and after a couple of weeks he was just fine. Once he'd gotten used to not having a nappy on, I think it was a big incentive to him to manage without one.

When it came to the transition between potty and toilet, we had one of those baby seat things that meant that the hole he had to sit on was much smaller.

He was three at the time.
Bookmark and Share
Old 02-04-12, 14:04
HE

Thanked 2,199 Times in 806 Posts

Summer and lack of nappies in the garden helped us.

I am told that Swedish kids potty train very early because the absence of carpets means that potties can just be stuck in the corners of the rooms and kids can go nappy free.

R
Bookmark and Share

Tags
None