Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > The Old Chestnuts > Special Needs & Disability

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-09, 06:12
Administrator

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,173 Posts
Default Home educating a child with special needs?

HE-Special-UK is an excellent resource for families home educating their children with special needs.

It includes sections focusing on Asperger Syndrome and Dyslexia as well as helpful articles, FAQs and links.
Bookmark and Share
Old 05-04-10, 19:43
HE

Default Disability

Hi

I have a son who has additional support needs and for the last three years at school he has been treated terribly. Not by the children but by the staff who have no training when working with a child with a disability. He has refused to go to school since Christmas after another nightmare incident and after lots of meeting the LA are now stating that I am emotionally abusing him !!!

We have a few friends but he misses his school friends and we would like to meet up with some people in the Edinburgh area on a fairly regular basis. I also think that I may be working him too hard and would really enjoy to get advice from other parents.

Please can anyone help.

Angela
Bookmark and Share
Old 26-04-10, 21:19
HE

hi

are you still looking for an answer?

whats happened, happening?

regards

Hadie
Bookmark and Share
Old 25-05-10, 10:46

That sounds awful.

Perhaps the best solution is to find a school where the teachers are qualified to work with children with support needs? Although it may be hard for him to leave his friends behind he will still be able to see them outside of school, plus he will make new ones!

I really hope things work out.
Bookmark and Share
Old 24-08-10, 21:04
HE

I've tagged this question onto this thread as I thought it most relevant. My question is regarding home edding my 11 yr old son with Asperger's. How likeley is it that the LEA will make it difficult to home ed my boy? I've read the legal threads for England and I know I don't have to ask for permission, but I'm terrified that after we've made the leap they will come back to us and say our education isn't efficient etc according to his statement and make us send him back, which would be worse than taking him out of school in the first place. Just wondering what other people's experiences have been and how to handle them.
Bookmark and Share
Old 25-08-10, 02:02
Super Moderator

Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,223 Posts

There is an email list for Home Ed special needs families the link takes you to their website , the 'join our email group ' link is on the right HTH
Bookmark and Share
Old 25-08-10, 03:45
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nell View Post
How likeley is it that the LEA will make it difficult to home ed my boy?
No more difficult than with any other children. They might come out with a few empty threats and slurs and recommendations to return to school but that's to be expected by any HE parent who removes their child from school.

Quote:
I've read the legal threads for England and I know I don't have to ask for permission, but I'm terrified that after we've made the leap they will come back to us and say our education isn't efficient etc according to his statement and make us send him back, which would be worse than taking him out of school in the first place. Just wondering what other people's experiences have been and how to handle them.
Nothing to worry about. It's perfectly possible to HE children with statements of SEN. Check your son's statement of SEN prior to withdrawing him from school to ensure that all his SEN detailed within can be satisfied outside of the school system, and amend the Statement where necessary.

I recommend you read this comprehensive article about the legal matters surrounding HE which answers just about every question raised by prospective HE parents.
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to Riaz For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (25-08-10)
Old 25-08-10, 05:37
HE

Thanks Elaine and Riaz. I've joined the HE special mailing list already, a couple of the items on there scared me. We have no difficulty with A's home ed academically or holistically, just wondered how pedantic the LEA's could be reagrding specific issues on statements. I'm going to pore over his statement and try to pre-empt any attacks. We received a letter from school yesterday informing us of A's academic sets for each subject for next year - he was not a happy boy, very demotivated as in lowest sets or as near as in the subjects he dislikes, but also IT. Hah, the lad is teaching himself javascript, but of course independent learning outside of their pre determined trajectories is simply ignored and not valued.
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to nell For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (25-08-10)
Old 25-08-10, 10:47
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nell View Post
Hah, the lad is teaching himself javascript, but of course independent learning outside of their pre determined trajectories is simply ignored and not valued.
I can second this. I was a self taught programmer when I was 10 years old but this talent was ignored by the school and LA officials because it wasn't part of the curriculum - neither was ICT as an independent subject.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaz For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (25-08-10), nell (26-08-10)
Old 25-08-10, 11:14
HE

Thanked 3,284 Times in 1,441 Posts

Make a list of all the things the LA/school did not do for your child when they had the chance. Give them the list if they start bothering you and say you are looking for a lawyer because they failed miserably in their duty to provide your child with an education. They'll be too busy squawking about and trying to defend themselves that they will leave you alone.

Diane
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diane For This Useful Post:
Earthtracer (25-08-10), nell (26-08-10)

Tags
None