Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > The Old Chestnuts

The Old Chestnuts For discussion of the most frequently asked questions about home education.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-10, 20:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 11,273 Times in 4,286 Posts
Default Anybody know anything of this research?

Helen Lees

Quote:
Research Summary

My PhD research uses post-structuralist theory to consider the effects from the social and in the personal of discovering alternative educational modes, such as home education. Using interviews conducted with various adults interested in these possibilities, I am considering gaps in our present understanding of the import of alternative education and its philosophies. These will be presented within a context of challenge and query regarding hegemony and dystopia in mainstream schooling norms and the effects of conscientization about alternatives away from that mainstream.
Bookmark and Share
Old 27-07-10, 20:41
HE

She was at Hesfes explaining her work this year and doing some research last year, she is well meaning but full of assumptions we wouldn't necessarily agree with. Might have more info will have a look.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maire For This Useful Post:
Earthtracer (27-07-10), Elaine Kirk (27-07-10), Loubeeloo (16-11-10)
Old 27-07-10, 20:43
Super Moderator

Helen Lees, School of Education, University of Birmingham

Quote:
What happens to the Self when people discover Alternative Educational possibilities?

This presentation is an overview of work being done on the effect on the Self when people discover the ideas and philosophies of alternative educational practices, with a special emphasis on home education and the parents of home educated children.

It will give an insight into the alternative education scene in the UK at the moment, especially the home education scene. Included in the presentation will be a variety of topics that have arisen during the planning of my thesis, arranged to show the complexity of the issue. These may include a discussion of gypsy ontology and elective home education, the media’s portrayal of home education and the rise in home education, why the later work of Michel Foucault is relevant, the technology of the democratic with the personal, what ‘discovery’ is in the context of alternative education, what the Self can be in this context, what is ‘School Exit’?, why is there a discrepancy between policy and practice when it comes to informing about home education?, and possibly other ideas such as the difficulty of combining a philosophically orientated study with empirical field research.
Bookmark and Share
Old 27-07-10, 20:47
HE

Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,214 Posts

Elaine, can remember this being discussed but damned if I can remember where....

Might even have been somewhere on these forums

May come back to my poor old brain
Bookmark and Share
Old 27-07-10, 20:52
Administrator

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,448 Posts

There goes that cavalier use of the 'UK' term again. Since when was HESFES representative of HErs? And since when did English law apply to the UK?

One current HE researcher has been very careful about terminology and earned my respect as a result - shame about the rest (they must have gone to school).

Grrrrr, I feel a serious amount of ranting coming on.
for home educators who mean business
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ali Admin For This Useful Post:
Earthtracer (27-07-10), Elaine Kirk (27-07-10)
Old 27-07-10, 21:11
HE

I've been home educating for 14 years and have never gone to HESFes and never will. I also know plenty of other home educators who never go either.
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to OrganisedPauper For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (14-11-10)
Old 27-07-10, 21:17
HE

Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,214 Posts
Default here we go...

http://www.home-education.biz/forum/...efficient.html
Bookmark and Share
Old 27-07-10, 21:18
HE

She was the person who did that Birmingham day conference earlier this year.

Been HEing since DD's birth and we have not been to HESFES either, and won't be going either
The Following User Says Thank You to mirky For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (27-07-10)
Old 27-07-10, 21:28
Super Moderator

Quote:
She was at Hesfes explaining her work this year and doing some research last year, she is well meaning but full of assumptions we wouldn't necessarily agree with. Might have more info will have a look
Yes please Maire that would be good
Bookmark and Share
Old 14-11-10, 14:04

Never been to HesFes here either though have nothing against it.
Research is sometimes going to bring up these issues and I guess HE research is no different. It really is down to the researcher what line or avenues they will persue, and perhaps they are restricted in some sence by canvassing widely for opinion or due to financial or time limitations. What would concern me more is how any simple thesis document for a Uni qualification might for some time be brought into the HE arena as any kind of evidence or to be used in policy. i think researchers should with this in mind even if not the intention, should take extra measures to make it as widely representative as possible before making any statements in conclusion.

We all know the effects of research taken in isolation and actually I think I'm being fairly reserved in criticism when as it stands, it doesn't sound good to me. i have to assume their research supervisor doesn't know anything about the subject and has left it to them. If it hasn't yet been submitted for assesment I would be inclined to think some emails to the person and their tutor were in order about now.

Summer
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summerskies2010 For This Useful Post:
Elaine Kirk (14-11-10), Loubeeloo (16-11-10)

Tags
None