Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > The Old Chestnuts

The Old Chestnuts For discussion of the most frequently asked questions about home education.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-10, 22:55

Default starting out

I have just recently decided to home tutor my 2 teenage sons i have wrote the letter to remove them from the register and dont know were to start or were to get information on what stage they should be at can anyone help
Bookmark and Share
Old 09-11-10, 11:33
HE

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,506 Posts

Do you mean you have written and hand-delivered your deregistration letter to their schools/schools advising the head teacher that you are removing your sons from school in order to home educate them?

If you want to go the 'I will follow the national curriculum' route you can google 'National Curriculum' and plenty of information will pop up. If you want to follow the autonomous route, ask your sons what they want to study and let them study the subjects they are interested in. You will then be a facilitator of their education and they will educate themselves.

As a home educating family you do not have to pass tests (unless your children want to) or be at any particular level at all. Personally, I think expecting all children of the same age to be the same is ludicrous.

Have a break from schooling, enjoy yourselves and don't worry. Children are programmed by nature to learn and they learn what they are interested in.

Good luck.

Diane
http://www.threedegreesoffreedom.blogspot.com
Bookmark and Share
Old 09-11-10, 12:00
HE

Thanked 4,090 Times in 1,187 Posts

You don't say where you are, the law is slightly different in Scotland. However, expect your nice, friendly, cuddly Local Authority to put in an appearance shortly. You can usually put them off by telling them it'll take you several months to get anything settled and they should go away for a bit. At some point they'll come back, and probably make demands which may have no legal foundation. Plenty of helpful advice available on here as to how to deal with that.

Then get on with the fun part. As Diane says, it's up to you and your children how to proceed, whether you want a rigid sort of schedule or let them follow their interests and help by providing resources. Don't be afraid to let them have a month off if they need it to get over school.
Bookmark and Share
The Following User Says Thank You to llondel For This Useful Post:
Diane (10-11-10)
Old 10-11-10, 12:47
HE

Good luck, Gunit. Those teenage years must be exciting; the time when they really start to flesh out their dreams and destinies.
We're at the earliest part of our children's learning journey, and even now it is so obvious that they know better than anyone else how to acquire knowledge for themselves, always driven by their own interests and needs.
One thing I keep reminding myself is to trust their wisdom, and trust their way.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to banshee For This Useful Post:
Diane (10-11-10), moonrabbit (10-11-10)

Tags
None