Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > The Old Chestnuts

The Old Chestnuts For discussion of the most frequently asked questions about home education.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-11, 15:08
HE

My parents reaction and they are in their eighties was , Well you cant do a worse job than the schools do and since then they have taken an active interest and learnt more about home education. Its a shame they live 400 miles away from me. My in laws on the other hand , who are local to me won't discuss it and basically ignore the fact that ds is at home. Only real adverse remark from a relative came from my stepsister in law who when asking Harry last year before he was due to start school, was he looking forward to it and I replied we are home educating him,well the look on her face was one of complete shock. I now believe it to be one of complete ignorance.
Within my local community, I feel very insecure when I take Harry out because I feel that everyone is staring at us, but other good friends whose children are at the local school accept our decision and respect us for it. Again its education, a lot of people believe children have to be in school and do not understand people who go against the norm.
Continue as you have been. As others say, its your child and you will do what you believe is best for them, ignore everyone else, I know its hard but they must learn to respect your decision.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nickyscott20022002 For This Useful Post:
Ali Admin (30-08-11), Diane (02-09-11), Elaine Kirk (30-08-11)
Old 30-08-11, 17:45
HE

Had a look at your blog, doubt you will have any trouble home edding, good luck with the control freaks.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maire For This Useful Post:
Diane (02-09-11), Elaine Kirk (30-08-11)
Old 30-08-11, 18:25
HE

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,148 Posts

We told everyone we met in the village that we would be home educating long before school age was reached. This was done in the hope that everyone would just get used to my son's presence and know what was going on and not feel inclined to report us to the LA. Only one surviving grandparent, who is generally in favour, a bit of disapproval from some other ILs but as they're in the US it's not a problem. Add the fact that since Badman I've developed a thick skin and a good line in counter-arguments and we're hopefully able to cope with any adverse or ignorant comments coming our way.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llondel For This Useful Post:
Diane (02-09-11), Elaine Kirk (30-08-11), Tricia (31-08-11)

Tags
None