Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > The Old Chestnuts

The Old Chestnuts For discussion of the most frequently asked questions about home education.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-09, 08:57
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthtracer View Post
That was a silly comment; not up to your usual standard! What exam system they use is not the point, is it?
Why is it silly? Why is it not the point?

IMO, it is the point! If you are a school and you are in Scotland, what reason can you have for using an examination system from another country? The only advantage I can think of is a financial one. If the children sitting those exams can consistently attain higher marks then it makes the school look better meaning they get more pupils and more income. Cynic? Me?

Bear in mind, I have a child at a Scottish private school (long story) and went to the same one myself.
Bookmark and Share
Old 28-07-09, 10:10

I looked at this a while ago and found that they seemed to be split almost evenly 3 ways.
1. Offering only SGs, Intermediates, and Highers
2. Offering only GCSEs and A Levels
3. Offering Intermediates, Highers, Advanced Highers and GCSEs, As
A couple also offered IGCSEs and the International Baccalaureate

I noticed that the schools that offer a combination of English AS and A Levels and Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers often offered specific subjects in the English system. The reasons given for offering both Scottish and English is because they believe that this offers the best course content to students. A small number of independent schools in Scotland now offer the International Baccalaureate while others are considering introducing this.

I think that the schools such as Fettes that only offer the English system do so cos they want their best students to try for Oxford and Cambridge.
Bookmark and Share
Old 28-07-09, 10:37
HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedaftie View Post
I think that the schools such as Fettes that only offer the English system do so cos they want their best students to try for Oxford and Cambridge.
Exactly, it makes them look better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags
None

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2