Go Back   Home Education Forums > Home Education Forums > Home Education Law & Policy > Wales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-12, 11:11
Administrator

Thanked 11,385 Times in 4,079 Posts
Default Big Brother Wales goes for compulsory registration

Legislative Programme 2012-13

Quote:
The Education (Wales) Bill will set out a number of proposals. These will include: requirements for the registration of the education workforce; reform of the statutory framework for children and young people with special educational needs, and the registration of children of compulsory school age who are home educated.
These politicians are clueless control freaks, or worse, they know exactly what they're doing.

Maybe it's time to explore pockets of wilderness in which one can avoid these parasites, or buy a motor home and keep on moving, as some of our number have chosen to do.
for home educators who mean business
Bookmark and Share
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Diane (08-08-12), Earthtracer (05-08-12), Elaine Kirk (06-08-12), JaneP (05-08-12), Loubeeloo (17-08-12), s836apg (05-08-12), Sheila Struthers (05-08-12)
Old 05-08-12, 17:31
HE

Thanked 2,159 Times in 749 Posts

They are proposals though ? If so, then perhaps there will be a consultation (everything crossed here) which would be useful for letting them know why this would be such a wrong move

This isn't what I would have expected from a Welsh Assembly who appear to have been trying to co-operate with Home Educators in selected Councils

I would also like to know where the money for this proposal is to come from - Local Councils have had their budgets cut, community education is being slashed. It just doesn't add up
Bookmark and Share
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Polly For This Useful Post:
Admin (05-08-12), Diane (08-08-12), Earthtracer (05-08-12), Elaine Kirk (06-08-12), JaneP (05-08-12), s836apg (05-08-12), Sheila Struthers (05-08-12)
Old 05-08-12, 17:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
They are proposals though ? If so, then perhaps there will be a consultation (everything crossed here) which would be useful for letting them know why this would be such a wrong move
It's their planned legislative programme and this 'proposal' will be in The Education (Wales) Bill which will be introduced over the next twelve months.

The announcement ties in with this thread mentioning a September consultation on home ed which looks like being the usual done deal.

There will be rent in it for some of the usual suspects, no doubt.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Diane (08-08-12), Earthtracer (05-08-12), Elaine Kirk (06-08-12), JaneP (06-08-12), Polly (06-08-12), s836apg (05-08-12), Sheila Struthers (05-08-12)
Old 05-08-12, 23:40
HE

Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote:
...or worse, they know exactly what they're doing
I am sure they do. This is a Labour administration and if that lot are elected next time round at Westmonster, we can expect the same here. Nor would I put it past ScotGov, though I would like to think I was wrong there...
Bookmark and Share
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earthtracer For This Useful Post:
Diane (08-08-12), Elaine Kirk (06-08-12), JaneP (06-08-12), Loubeeloo (17-08-12), Polly (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 11:33
Super Moderator

Thanked 11,329 Times in 4,310 Posts

Are they not meant to produce a breakdown of the cost of these proposals? And if so can we get hold of them?
Bookmark and Share
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Diane (08-08-12), Earthtracer (06-08-12), JaneP (06-08-12), Loubeeloo (17-08-12), Polly (06-08-12), Sheila Struthers (06-08-12)
Old 07-08-12, 08:24
Administrator

Default Flintshire LSCB Serious Case Review

Link emailed to us overnight: Flintshire LSCB Serious Case Review

Executive summary only, but a quick skim suggests the old familiar multi-agency failures to use existing statutory powers when there was clearly cause for concern and evidence for intervention.

They all seemed to be too busy in meetings, sharing information without taking definitive action based on actual evidence.

Not that I would want their jobs for all the tea in China and don't doubt the worker ants all meant well, but the WAG won't hesitate to make political capital out of this poor already known, registered and monitored child's death.

Home education will once again make the perfect scapegoat but their heavy handed knee-jerk reaction will simply serve to further alienate HE families. Not only that, it will suck money from much needed, but generally unforthcoming and 'unaffordable', services that some families, HE or otherwise, are desperate to access.

I utterly despair of those who can't see the big picture because the bandwagon's in the way. I feel nothing but contempt for the grave robbing parasites who put it there as a deliberate distraction.

Bookmark and Share
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
b_staffs (07-08-12), Diane (08-08-12), Elaine Kirk (07-08-12), Loubeeloo (17-08-12), Polly (07-08-12)
Old 07-08-12, 09:40
Super Moderator

Section three on page five, particularly 3.6 make it clear that-
The child was being seen regularly by professionals
There had been a number of occasions when concerns were raised and not acted on
The child died as the result of an infection that could have killed an otherwise healthy child
The criminal investigation found no offence having been commited

There is one point on which they and all local authorities should have acted and has occurred in other cases , there was an inadequate response to earlier concerns reported by the police. I get the impression from reading many scr's that police reports are not acted on responsibly, whether this is due to an attitude that police officers are not capable of determining if a child is at risk I cannot say, but I think if anything needs to change it is the attitude of children's services towards police reports as professionals pride seems to be creating boundaries to the 'working together' principal that we hear so much about.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Admin (07-08-12), Diane (08-08-12), Polly (07-08-12)
Old 07-08-12, 15:44
Super Moderator

Another point is smearing being quoted as a flag, smearing is typical behaviour .
And another point that isn't mentioned in the scr is what services the family declined, the family decided on home education after the nursery stage so what were their alternatives? It is certainly extremely rare for a family to be offered educational services specific to their child's needs without a long fight and appeals are a par for the course so did the family simply get on with the job of raising their child rather than invest time and energy they didn't have spare on fighting for services?
Bookmark and Share
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Admin (07-08-12), Diane (08-08-12), Polly (07-08-12)
Old 07-08-12, 18:06
HE

Thanked 2,159 Times in 749 Posts

No where in the report did I see any evidence that registration and/or monitoring of home education would have made one iota of difference to this case.

It's a large stretch of the imagination to claim that it would.

However, it's patently obvious that the 'professionals' involved in an educational context clearly don't understand their roles regarding safeguarding children.

Another thought comes to mind...

Was there also a serious case review and recommendation of monitoring all teachers' treatment of sick children when this child died of Asthma at school?
Bookmark and Share
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Polly For This Useful Post:
Admin (07-08-12), Diane (08-08-12), Elaine Kirk (07-08-12), Loubeeloo (17-08-12)
Old 15-08-12, 12:58
Super Moderator

I have been browsing and noted a couple of interesting points.
I got the stats above from this Wales.gov stats sheet
Quote:
pupils being electively home educated are children whose parents have decided to educate at
home rather than at school and are not classed as EOTAS pupils. Although by definition they are
educated other than at school, education for these pupils is not funded by the local authority and
there is no legal basis under which the local authority can collect personal data about them. Data
on electively home educated pupils are restricted to headcounts by local authority, gender and
age and are provided voluntarily by the local authority. Figures related to pupils electively home
educated have been reported in separate tables to those relating to EOTAS pupils.
Then we tootle of to the school pupil absenteeism stats and-
Primary School stats which can be viewed here show -
Quote:
• Over 5,000 pupils (2.7 per cent) had no absence from school in 2010/11, while just over 19,700 pupils
(10.2 per cent) were absent for more than 25 days (5 school weeks).
Secondary school stats found on this link show-
Quote:
A little over 7,000 pupils (4.1 per cent) had no absence from school in 2010/11, while just over 22,300
pupils (12.9 per cent) were absent for more than 25 days (5 school weeks);
My point here is that the Local Authorities/schools receive 000's from the tax payer per school educated child for providing them with an education . Is it not perhaps rather foolhardy, to say the least, to provide the authorities with responsibility and taxpayers dosh to police home educated children ??? maybe they should be putting their own house in order.

Last edited by Elaine Kirk; 15-08-12 at 13:03.
Bookmark and Share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elaine Kirk For This Useful Post:
Diane (19-08-12), Loubeeloo (17-08-12)
Old 17-08-12, 17:25
Loubeeloo
This message has been deleted by Loubeeloo. Reason: duplication

Tags
big brother wales , home education , scapegoating , serious case review , sin d , wales

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2